Monday, September 24, 2007

The Middle Name Meme

Sandy Carlson tagged me with the Middle Name Meme:RULES: You have to post these rules before you give the facts. Players, you must list one fact that is somehow relevant to your life for each letter of your middle name. If you don’t have a middle name, use the middle name you would have liked to have had. When you are tagged you need to write your own blog post containing your own middle name game facts. At the end of your blog post, you need to choose one person for each letter of your middle name to tag. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged and to read your blog.

Well, my name is 'H.S. Dharmendra'. 'H' stands for 'Halale' which is the name of my clan, 'S' stands for my father's name 'Shankar' and 'Dharmendra' is my given name. My namakarana (naming ceremony) was celebrated along with my kid brother's. I was about three years old when it happened. Until then I was being called by various pet names like 'Gunda,' 'Gundu,' 'Unda-bhaakri,' etc., but I was more popular as 'Raghu' (named after saint 'Raghavendra'). I am still known as 'Raghu', more so than 'Dharmendra.'

I've been called by other names, some normal and some weird. My granny called me 'Satya Narayana' after my dad's Ishta Devata. My class mates called me 'Dharam' or 'Dharma.' My PUC classmates called me 'Bond' (I wonder why?) After getting busy with my work, I was not visiting a friend's house often as I previously used to, so his mom christened me 'Vajpayee' after the then Prime Minister of India.

Inspite of so many names, I do not have a middle name. Well, no issues! I would give myself a middle name - 'Mani' after my mom 'Manonmani.'

Dharmendra...
Mysorean to the core;
Art lover;
Non-vegetarian;
In love with his camera;

I'm tagging
Claytonia at Drishyanvesh,
Raaghu at Me, Myself and I,
Vikster at I heart Bombay, Boston,and
Rubic_cube at Gift of Gab

3 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

That's really fascinating! A naming ceremony....I attended two in the home of a friend who is Jewish for her daughters. The ritual unfolded similar to the way you describe yours. In this case, though, to be "named after" someone is to have a name that begins with the same first letter of that person. This got me thinking about the power, mystery, and magic of the alphabet.

You had many aliases by the time you were three!

Thanks for playing. It's nice to know more about you.

H.S. Dharmendra said...

@ Sandy: Hi, I never thought the post will be more about my various aliases when I started writing.

Thanks for tagging me. I would never have thought of writing about my names, otherwise.

Anonymous said...

'Gunda,' 'Gundu,' 'Unda-bhaakri,'.... lol... lol...

Chaitra