Sunday, November 26, 2006

Embarrassment Forever

I was studying 8th standard at JSS Balajagath. Ms. Nalini was the school head mistress and also taught us English. She was known to be strict and was feared by all students.

Our class consisted of nineteen; I was one among the brightest in that small group, good in languages, including English. During one of the monthly tests, the English question paper required us to build one sentence each to ten given words.

I did well in the test and when it came to the sentence building task, I was excited. I wanted to flaunt my language skills and wrote sentences incorporating names of two of my classmates - Aruna and Chandrika - in all ten sentences. I was confident that the teacher will appreciate my creativity.

On the day of results I was beaming with confidence. The teacher walked into the class room with answer sheets. She announced each student's result by turn and when she came to me, blurted out...
'Dharmendra is so much attached to Aruna and Chandrika that he has referred them in all ten sentences.'
Suddenly, I felt as if I am nude in front of everyone, but the ordeal was not over yet. Aloud and sarcastic, she read each of the ten sentences with pauses and commas.

A sharp flame of shame seared through my being. I was red in face and squirming in my seat. Inspite of forming flawless sentences, I was humiliated in front of the whole class. I was confused and angry. I sat there embarrassed, helpless and perplexed, licking the wounds.

Whenever I remember the incident, I feel embarrassed all over again.

9 comments:

claytonia vices said...

I wonder why she had to humiliate you. Some teachers used to have way too much attitude to be sensitive...

Rubic_Cube said...

Ditto as the comment above. I wonder why she did that. Not a good thing for a teacher. She is breaking the teacher-student relationship.

H.S. Dharmendra said...

@ claytonia vices: I totally agree with you, she had this attitude as if she was some queen. I think many students loathed her.

@ rubic_cube: She made me look like a fool, I still wonder why.

The Thoughtful Philosopher said...

she not only humiliated u without reason at an age when u couldn't defend urself, she also sent out the wrong message to u about friendship with the opposite sex.

rajat said...

can you reproduce that sentence ? ;)
well just kidding. I know how it feel to remember childhood humiliation. Coincidence it that one of mine friend's name is Raghavendra we call him "Raghu" he was about to do the same mistake like you; naming girls name of class in C language project file.but i save his ass by warning him and projecting the consequences of his work [some girls of our class is really DANGEROUS type and teacher also] finally he have to dump the project and made new project naming only name of boys of our class :D

H.S. Dharmendra said...

@ Thoughtful Philosopher: Very true.

@ rajat: well, I can't remember those 10 sentences, its been quite long about 18-19 years since that episode. Your friend 'Raghu' is lucky to have a concerned friend like you. Thanks for dropping by and for the comment.

Anonymous said...

Why should you be embarrassed it's she who behaved so atrociously?

Such people should NOT be permitted to teach - what she did is called Mental or emotional abuse. Maybe she felt you were too good for your age?

Anonymous said...

Why should you be embarrassed it's she who behaved so atrociously?

Such people should NOT be permitted to teach - what she did is called Mental or emotional abuse. Maybe she felt you were too good for your age?

Lazybones said...

I'm so angry at your teacher right now. Wish they had broadened their horizons before taking up teaching.