Monday, August 01, 2005

Goal - Is it dispensable?

When someone is seeking, it happens quite easily that he sees the thing that he is seeking;
that he is unable to find anything, unable to absorb anything, because he is only thinking of the thing
he is seeking, because he has a goal, because he is obsessed with his goal.
Seeking means: to have a goal;
but finding means: to be free, to be receptive, to have no goal.
- 'Siddhartha' by Hermann Hesse

I came across above mentioned sayings in the book 'Siddhartha' which I read recently. This message was so strong that I couldn't resist the temptation to quote it here. The quote is very thought provoking and can be applied in our everyday life.

Sometimes we question the very purpose and objective of things we are pursuing; and many a times it remains just a question and we fear to go further. We are scared of the answer because the passion with which we are seeking, we are afraid, will look ridiculous once we get the answer.

Since childhood we are constantly fed with the idea that one should have a certain goal in life to succeed. But what if a person does not have any goal or ambition? Does it mean that, that person will have an unsuccessful life?

Why can't a person lead his life doing things without expecting anything? Isn't a goal, a passionate expectation?

I have no concrete goals. Previously when someone asked me what I wanted to do with my life, I was getting totally confused. I used to mumble something stupid and change the subject. I was a little embarassed with myself about not being ambitious; but then it struck me one day - I don't have any goals. I am not seeking anything passionately. I am just living every moment of my life as it comes. I work, design, write a bit, read a bit, watch TV, listen to music, etc. Even what I eat, I enjoy each and every morsel and not hurry through.

Whatever I do I try to enjoy the process. This has a very positive effect. The work, when it yields a good result it is exciting for me. I find success which I had not sought after and that is very exciting. In case of a failure I don't lose heart but consider it as an experience because the work itself would have been a learning process.

I am free from longing, I am happy. I have no goals, I am happy. Success comes as a surprise, I am happy.

3 comments:

claytonia vices said...

Raghu, nice blog!!

Next time someone asks u what you want to do in life just tell them you want to life to the moment!

Reminds me of the famous quotation:
"life is what happens to you while you are busy planning other things". So being busy planning other things doesn't help much!! :-)

H.S. Dharmendra said...

Vikki,
thanks, man, for checking out my blog and posting a comment. I liked the quotation, as well.

Your blogs were the inspiration for me to start my own and I am happy I did. I have also linked your blog in mine.

Looking forward to meet you during your visit to Mysore.

Bye.

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice thought provoking post. Only one point. Unless you believe in everything in life being completely random, you'd have to logically agree to the fact that we are all here for some purpose - our true calling in life, so to speak. So, my point is, it may make sense to atleast go hunt for this purpose, desire, etc in order to do whatever we're here for. Let's get the work done with, prior to the partying!

Just landed up here randomly. Will be back!